Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Saliva of Steel

Spencer and I went to a Japanese buffet tonight that included sushi. I had a couple of pieces of Nigiri--ever so gently brushed with wasabi. Spencer asked me what the green paste was that I had smeared on the edge of my plate and I explained how wasabi had heat like intense horseradish--very hot!

He took a pea sized glob of it on the end of his chopstick and asked me if I would pay him $5 if he ate it.  Of course I said no! I didn't want him getting strangled!!

But before I could explain to him, he popped the small chunk in his mouth, squished it around and swallowed it.....then went back to eating his noodles.

Like nothing. ever. happened.  Not even a sip of water!

I just froze in disbelief. And then started laughing!  What kind of freaky little kid am I raising? 
When I asked him HOW IN THE WORLD HE ATE THAT???!!!  He took another little gob and put it on his tongue....and this time I got a picture....
Do you see that??? That's a fierce amount of wasabi! And the little brat's eyes never even watered up!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

maybe he had killed his tastebuds with something! that much would make my eyes water and my nose burn!

Patti H said...

I would die

Cheri Pryor said...

My eyes water just looking at the picture. Your child is a freak...but he is, after all, YOUR child. Wasabi is to Spencer as Ice Wine is to Cassandra....