Tuesday, July 25, 2006


My urologist said that my kidney stone would need about 45-60 minutes of shockwave lithotripsy to bust it up and then it would be blasted into tiny little granules of sand that would come out painlessly with my urine. He said the procedure was mild and felt like a slight tapping on my back. He said I might be a little tender or bruised in my back but I would be okay in a day..... OH MY!!! He knows he shouldn't lie like that!

The lithotripsy lasted an hour and 15 minutes. It was painful. It felt like I was being snapped with a big-ass rubber band in the same spot over and over and over. They administered pain meds and "twilight" sedation but it was still MUCH more than what I was expecting! The stone was resistant and didn't want to break up. The first day, I passed lots of that sand he bragged about. The second day the stones started. I guess that's why they gave me a huge bottle of Percocet--that should have been my first clue. They don't dole out stashes of narcotics for "mild discomfort"-- it hurt like hell. It felt like a bad bladder infection and crippling contractions at once. THEN they tell you to walk it out!!!!

So now it has been a week since the surgery. I am still passing stones. They are getting smaller and not as painful but I still feel rough. I only took Monday and Tuesday off from work last week. I had to work, while on the drugs, and in pain, and I had a project due. Not good for me or my team. I wish I would have known and I would have asked for more time off.

I go back to the doctor August 7. Until then, I stay on meds and keep passing what I can. They will re-do my x-rays then to see if I got all of the stone out. I sure as hell hope so!!!


Nancyroo said...

Geez, I sure hope you are better, SOON!

Molly said...

OUCH! hope you get to feeling better so you can knock some sense into your doctor!

Jes said...

oh my, that sounds like torture!! i sure hope that it passes sooner than later and you're able to rest a bit! *hugs*